Conservation Action Plan
Conservation Areas Networking Planning (2014-2017)
- Create an information base (Cree knowledge and western science)
- Create planning support tools to integrate conservation science knowledge into conservation network planning.
- Undertake Cree community level consultations to identify priority conservation areas (areas undergoing high development pressures will receive more immediate attention)
- Assess suitability and local support for existing protected areas that were established without the appropriate level of Cree consultation.
- Bring all of the priority conservation areas together to design an interconnected, conservation areas network for Eeyou Istchee.
- Once identified and documented, priority conservation areas should be made temporarily off limits to further development until decisions on their designation status are made through implementation mechanisms.
Designation/Establishment (2014 - 2020)
- Establish protected areas through collaborative work with provincial and federal governments.
- Establish protected areas through collaboration with Eeyou Marine Region Planning Commission (Eeyou Marine Region Agreement).
- Establish conservation areas through collaboration with regional land use planning commissions.